Martin was scheduled to be interviewed at Radcliffe and Maconie’s show on BBC Radio Music 6 today, Friday 6th. However RadMac had to step out due to illness and Craig Charles – a very popular funk and soul DJ who has 2 shows on this same radio – stepped in instead.
The interview lasted 30 minutes and they played 3 of the songs from Martin’s selection from the upcoming jazz compilation “Martin Freeman and Eddie Piller present Jazz on the Corner” from Acid Jazz Records.
Martin wasn’t present with Craig in the studios as he was in London recording another interview for Jamie Cullum, but luckily this photo was taken as he was being interviewed by Craig. Click on the photo to access it in full size:
The interview is fun and easy going and full of great quotes and some interesting insights:
- Martin doesn’t go to gigs so much as before, he prefers recorded music.
- He doesn’t like atonal jazz so much, he prefers melodies and tunes.
- He doesn’t go to record stores as much as before due to his limited time.
- He “loves music more than anything in the world”.
- He likes “people interested in stuff”.
- He likes to make playlists when he’s doing an acting job. He chose a more punk based playlist for when he was doing Richard III, for example.
- He likes to take his time when listening to a new record, and not let life interfere.
- Some cheekiness from him when Craig says he’s rubbing his mod style scarf, got this from Martin: “Thank you for thinking of me while rubbing it”.
You can listen to the interview from the programme’s website here (only available for 30 days). It starts around the 1 hour 45 minutes mark, with one of Martin’s selections. You can download the interview here too.
We received 2 exciting news from this show as well:
- There will be a Volume 2 of the Jazz on the Corner compilation. No dates, just the fact that there will be another one. Isn’t that great?!
- Martin and Eddie will be sitting in for Craig in his Saturday radio show next March 31st (6pm to 9pm) on BBC Radio 6. Exciting!